August 6, 2011
Do We Need the Internet?
This morning while eating breakfast, my 5 year-old daughter who reads at a 3rd grade level asked me what "cheerios.com" was for?
One thing that is great about being a parent is--in at least a few people's eyes--you are the most interesting and intelligent person in the world. I know that this will be short-lived, and that eventually I will become the most "I-already knew-that" person in the world. Yet, within a decade, I shall reemerge as the all-wise sage.
In my current modus operandi of yoda, I return to my daughter's question.
I was all ready to tell her that Cheerios has a website, about what you would probably find on the website and about the nature of marketing, branding, etc. I paused, taken back by the way in which these answers seemed so unnatural yet were pouring out of me like I had stuck my finger down my throat.
And then I remembered when I was kid. There was no Cheeri-whatever.com. Were we worse off? I ate the cereal, I watched the cartoon, that was it. Life was simple. Sweet, sweet Saturday. And then the Internet.
I know that the Internet has connected us to each other even as you read this, has empowered us to reconnect with our old classmates, pay bills without stamps, search for places that sell good grinders in downtown Houston, and buy plastic yard gnomes from a guy in Singapore. It's awesome! What more could you want?
So, what was my answer?
"There is no reason, darling."
She was fine with that.
So much of the Internet is pointless. It's meant to draw you into a non-reality that alienates you from those closest to you. I battle not living in its world, and through good confessors am making progress in being aware that God's presence is not behind the screen but behind the eyes that he has placed in our care; and as Catholics under the appearance of bread and wine.
Peace to you on your journey...
Labels:
ramblings