June 15, 2012

A Blog You Probably Don't Know I'm Reading

Blessed John Duns Scotus
The Smithy

In his own words:

"A mediaevalist trying to be a philosopher, a philosopher trying to be a mediaevalist, and a friar in a medieval order writing about theology, philosophy, scholarship, books, the middle ages, and especially the life, times, and thought of the Doctor Subtilis, the Blessed John Duns Scotus."

The author, Lee Faber, is a graduate student at Notre Dame.

On a personal note, I studied Scotus's De primo principio at the University of Dallas with Dr. William A. Frank, and I found Scotus to be dense, intellectually and spiritually penetrating, and worthy of attention for any serious academic interested in mediaeval thought or metaphysics. Thus, my interest in this blog (as a semi-serious, academic-type). As a Jacques Maritain fanboy, I'm hardly shy about my Thomistic leanings. Nonetheless, I don't like myths, and the myth that Scotus is some kind of proto-Luther, gateway to all bad thinking is just that -- a myth. Lee does a good job of pointing out both how misunderstood Scotus is and how wrong most of his critics are.