May 4, 2011

Reason #313-Why I'm Catholic

Mary


This continues the random series of the # of reasons Why I'm Catholic. There are thousands, so instead of trying to be systematic which would be laborious, time consuming, and pedant, I thought I would just randomly grab a few and talk about them. To the point...

Being a Christian without Mary is like being a spiritual orphan. In the Gospels, it is implied that Joseph dies early on, he kind of disappears out of the picture. In a similar way, as a Protestant, Mary dies away, or rather she comes out for a Christmas "drive through nativity" only to be shoved back in a shed somewhere in the early morning hours of the "day after" (Dec 26) their rendezvous with the Blessed Virgin. It's the one season when Protestants have statues--plastic as they may be!

In the eleventh chapter of the Book of Revelation, the Arc of the Covenant is on display in heaven. As a Christian (one who believes Christ is the definitive revelation of God), I can hardly imagine that the Arc of the Old Covenant is on display. That doesn't make sense on so many levels it hardly demands an argument against it. If it is the Arc of the Covenant, then it must be the new Arc. What, or rather, who is that?

Mary, duh. (Ah, easy theology questions make me happy)

Have you ever been to a family reunion? Awkward moments, right? Have you ever watched one of those really soupy reality shows where long-lost family members get re-united? Inevitably, there is this moment where no matter what the relation--let's take Mother-son--they kind of stare at each other like, "Is that really you?"

I had concluded along my journey to the Catholic Church that I did not want to get to heaven and in astonishment look up and say, "Who's She?"

A Protestant finding Mary is like that. While all of the original reformers loved Mary far more than any Protestant can imagine today, the history of thought in Protestantism devolved into what we have today: No Mary.

But, my friend has a shirt company and one of the shirts reads:

click on the image to go to www.catgear.com

I'm Catholic because I want all of Jesus including His Mother. I want to be like Jesus: son of God and Mary. So, get to know Her. Or, as the Lord said upon the cross, "Behold, your mother!" (Jn 19:27).