(this catechesis moment brought to you by "awkward moments")
_______________________________
Back to the post...everyone is writing about the new Roman Missal, so I thought I would weigh in and give my two-and-a-half cents:
1. A Better Translation.
Plain and simple, its just better. Why? It is more consonant with the Tradition. Why is that important? Exhibit A:
Exhibits B and C below.
2. For what?
"For many". Why not "for all"?
Why not "for many?"
In the Eucharistic liturgy, the old-new prayer said, "poured out for all." The new-old prayer says, "poured out for many."
Will everyone be saved? No. Evidence: Hitler.
Did Christ die for everyone? Yes.
Enter: Free will
3. Change we can believe in.
What is incredible to me is all the people that are up in arms about "changing the Mass". The same people who wanted clown masses, liturgical dancing, who cared less if the priest acted like a DJ, now are lamenting "consubstantial" (exhibit B). I got a new word for them: contradiction.
4. Did I hear "oblation"?
Yes, you did, and that is exhibit C. In this case, as evidence of the awesomeness of the new translation. Catholics do not re-sacrifice Christ, but it is a sacrifice. Oblation is just pure liturgical greatness.
Thank you Vatican, thank you.
5. "And with your spirit"
I said, "And with your spirit".
Try that again. "And with also your spirit?"
I think everyone messed this up. Week 2 was a little better.
Why the change? It comes from the Latin response "et cum spiritu tuo". I'll admit "and also with you" was a sesame street translation of "et cum spiritu tuo". For 1,400 years, Catholics said, "et cum spiritu tuo". Then we started saying, "W/U, LOL, and IMHO". J/K
Peace be with you.
And with your spirit.
Amen!