| ...not this Luther |
| ...not this one either (dang!) |
...but this one!
| [insert potty word] |
[note: please ignore the Oneness heretic at minute 1:44]
I've been Catholic for 3.5 years now. In that span of time, I have witnessed more than a few converts who went back to Protestantism. I have also witnessed more than my fair share of those who would never darken her doors. There is a common theme and by now given my title, I am sure you know where this is headed.
Worms.
What?
| Mr. Verms |
Real worms?
No, not real worms.
If you are a student of history, you know that I am referring to the Diet of Worms (pro-nounced "v-e-r-m-s" to make you sound way, like, in the know). At the Diet of Worms, Luther was pronounced a heretic and told he was getting the smack-down if he didn't come back to the fold. What happened? Looking at a phone book under the heading "churches" gives you a quick insight into how history played out. Bummer.
Though we think we are above it, we all have our wormy moments. What I mean, of course, is that we all come to a place in our lives where either the Church is right or we are right.
Church? Me? Church? Me? Church? Me?
Some leave over small things, while others over major theological issues. In almost every case for the Protestant who becomes Catholic and goes back to Protestantism, it appears that he or she imagined the Church as just the greatest protestant denomination of all time. Then, when the mental placeholder in their head was replaced by the reality of the Church, they take their toys and go home.
What do you mean there are pathetic priests?
What do you mean we only take communion under one species?
What do you mean by faith informed by agape?
The list could go on, and it does go on everyday, throughout the world, in the minds of countless who find the Church passé, outmoded or just plain wrong, dangit! But at the end of the day, all you or I or anyone is facing is their inner Luther. It is a crisis of faith. I have had it, I will admit.
I was in the Basilica in St. Louis, and Cardinal Burke was processing in. To my Protestant sensibilities the whole thing seemed a bit off, if just for a moment. Then, coming to my spiritual wits, I whispered to the Lord:
"Where can I go, you have the words of eternal life."
And so I settled down remembering that the YouTube video above would seem kind of "off " as well--as a substitute for worship--to a cradle Catholic
If the Catholic Church is the Church Jesus personally founded, then you should come into full communion with Her. Further, you should not leave her. If you leave Her, while understanding who she is, you leave Christ. Moreover, as a son of the Church, you should listen to her as your teacher. You should submit when you have your "Luther-an" moment.
Church? Me? Church? Me? Church? Me?
A: Church
Or you might end up like Luther saying things like:
"Who would have begun to preach, if we had known beforehand that so much unhappiness, tumult, scandal, blasphemy, ingratitude, and wickedness would have been the result?" [Walch. VIII. 564]
or
"Under the Pope, people were very fervent in building churches . . . Now that the true religion is taught, and that the people are properly instructed concerning good works, everybody is cold, so much so that we cannot help being surprised at it." [Walch. VI. 1211]
(ht: D. Armstrong)
You might also like:
Don't Be Catholic...
Consider subscribing to Almost Not Catholic. Click here to make it happen.