March 10, 2012

Confession: A Reflection

"The time of penance has come, the time to atone for our sins and seek our salvation"
 -from Mid-morning prayer in the Liturgy of the Hours


How can we "atone for our sins"? It is a good question, and one that when we dwell upon we soon realize is a futile exploit if but for Christ. Christ is our atoning sacrifice (1 John 2:2), truly he is. Yet, we must ask ourselves, is he? Is he my sacrifice? I don't mean to imply that there is another, for there is no Other, but have I encountered the Other as My Other?

Because today is the day of salvation! (2 Corinthians 6:2)

Am I seeking the atoning work of Christ in my life everyday? Is today my day of salvation, or am I satisfied with a distant memory of Christ? Don't I know that I am just as incapable of living yesterday as I am living 5 years ago? His mercies our new every morning.

Thus, we must ask ourselves, "do I seek my salvation"?

What in my life says, "I am seeking"?

Christ will meet you. Seek and ye shall find.

Knock and the door will be opened.
GO. TO. CONFESSION.

May God richly bless you this season of Lent.