April 4, 2012

Where is the church (Church)?

Get in the car. Let's go for a ride.
(we start off down the road)

Where is the church? Or should I say Church?

What did that sign say?

"First Church of God"

I've found Her! The first church of God!

(small plaque reads: "founded in 1886")

What? Where was the Church before 1886?

(the car keeps moving)

What did that sign say?

"The Church of Christ"

Was that the Church? What's the difference between the "Church of God" and the "Church of Christ"? Is there something I am missing? Are those like two sides of the same coin? In other words, do those churches acknowledge each other as brother or sister churches?

"No"

(the car turns the corner)

"Second Baptist Church"

Keep driving.

"Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints"

Is that the church? Or should I say Church? Did the church become apostate and is now renewed in this church of the "latter-day saints"? Am I one of the "latter-day saints"? I think I believe. [pause] How will they know whether or not I am one? Is there a test? Will I pass it? If I fail it, can I take it again?

(turns into a parking lot. There is a large tent set up on some property adjacent Walmart)

"Revival: Come Experience the Living Power of God"

Preacher: "You don't need religion! You need a relationship with God. Only a relationship with God will save you. Not a religion. Religion is dead. Religion kills. If you want to experience the power of God, come down here and let me pray with you. Now repeat after me...

What does that mean? I thought religion was good? I thought I believed. I thought secular society says religion is bad, because religion tells it to not be secular. Why does this religious man believe religion is not good? Doesn't the existence of religion give this man his job? Seems to be biting the hand that feeds him...

(the car pulls out of the lot and turns onto the highway. picks up speed. everything is like a blur in the window)

Where is the church? Or should I say Church? These Christians seem to think this isn't a problem. Some of them say this is even a good thing. It's insane. I...I want to give up. I thought I believed. How can I tell what is true? Maybe I can go back to that church and take their test and find out. Maybe I am a latter-day saint after all.

Then Christ prays:
"As thou hast sent me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. And for them do I sanctify myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. And not for them only do I pray, but for them also who through their word shall believe in me; That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou hast given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, as we also are one: I in them, and thou in me; that they may be made perfect in one: and the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast also loved me." -John 17:18-23


I thought I believed.


Click Here To Subscribe to Almost Not Catholic