I am considering making a very big change to my "online presence." Over a year ago, I started this blog. I started this blog to share with my family and friends the reasons I converted to Catholic Christianity. You know what? I got a lot of people talking. A lot more people than my family and friends, but that certainly did happen too.
For all of it, I'm thankful.
Over the last almost four years, I have grown in my Catholic faith. And, being a part of the "Catholic blogosphere" has been interesting. Sometimes I feel as though there are 1,500 Catholics online and I've seen all of them. I know this is not the case, but it is just how it feels. But more than the Catholic part, the anti-Catholic part has been interesting...to say the least.
So, here is where I am. I'm considering putting this blog in "almost-a-blog" mode. I won't write here anymore...well, I might write a couple posts a year. Instead, I will write occasional guest posts at other sites and link to those as well as link to good things I'm reading (apologetic). In fact, I'm right now working on two book reviews. But, instead of primarily doing Catholic apologetics...
...I will focus my online presence on the work I do professionally. That work involves serving a marginalized population in our society. I don't mix religion and my professional life, but this blog has made me realize that you can do a lot of good online. It has made me want to do that kind of good online for those I serve during the day. So, why not? Isn't that what my Catholic faith tells me to do?
Go into all the world.
Be a light.
Be salt.
And as a Catholic, that doesn't mean I have to be an annoying fundamentalist, bringing 2,500 year old dinosaurs with me everywhere I go to to ruin almost anything. It doesn't mean I have to act like a condescending member of the elect who might not be elect if he finds out later that he wasn't elect, but as of right now he is elect so therefore you and everyone else are nothings (= not elect). Instead, motivated by my commitment to the dignity of the human person and the principle of solidarity, I can do good. I can bring Christ to the world.
Because as a lay, that is where I live: in the world.
So, what do you think?