May 11, 2012

7 Theological Quick Takes Friday (vol.10)



-1-
It has been almost 3 months since I did a quick takes. In fact, the last time I did a Quick Takes I was just fresh out of knee surgery. I'm happy to report the surgery went very well, and I am almost back to my old ways. Well, not exactly. I'm actually trying to get back to some new-old-old ways. What I mean is getting back to a regular routine of exercise (my old way before I had kids). So, when I'm finished with this post, I'm lacing up the sneaks and heading to the gym.  

Check me out!
On to some theological fare...

-2-
I am thinking about writing a post: The Canon - A Case Study in Dogmatic Theology. Here's the basic premise. Take my canon article, replace the word canon with "Trinity", "hypostatic union", "Baptismal regeneration", or "virgin birth", and you get the same result. In other words, you only get opinion without the Church -- no dogma. For a more thorough look at this particular train of thought, I highly recommend this article by Dr. Michael Liccione. In fact, if you make a comment in rebut to this particular quick take without reading his article, I will either delete your comment or ignore it. Just a friendly FYI.

-3-
My daughter just received her First Holy Communion. She was absolutely beautiful:
Before Receiving Our Lord -- Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity
Here's what absolutely baffles me. How in the world could a Catholic simply "go through the motions" of First Communion (of course its possible, I just don't get it)? Further, how in the world could a Catholic fail to have a "relationship with Jesus" after preparing for and receiving First Holy Communion? Let me put it this way, no evangelical will have a rats chance in hades to convince my daughter that she needs a "personal relationship with Jesus" because "Catholicism is a religion of works" (cue the scary organ music). Are you kidding? She begs us to go to daily Mass so she can receive our Lord. She loves Jesus -- and more than just love with her heart, she now can give herself totally to our Lord and receive Him in the Most Holy Eucharist.

Sorry guys, she's off the "saving" radar.

Speaking of cultural Catholicism, I wrote about the topic here, if you didn't read it the first time.

-4-
Did you guys know that Patrick Vandapool is blogging again? I know, some of you left him when he decided to take a short hiatus. Here's what I recommend:

GO BACK!

Seriously, Patrick represents ecumenism at its height. He's warm, witty, charming, and open-minded, kind of like this guy:
Who wouldn't let this guy watch their kids?
Actually, I feel bad comparing Patrick to Mike Tyson. Patrick would never bite someone's ear. However, he would apply a pretty strong uppercut to some of these "Bible-believen" theologies that trade in the truth for a set of axioms to make a few hundred thousand people feel important. See, I told you Patrick was a great guy. I call him the:

Dennis Miller of Apologetics
Enough said.

-5-
Quick Takes Question:

What blog post would you like to see written to address an objection to the Catholic faith or to explain a particular part of the Catholic faith for which you may have struggled?

-6-
I'm skipping this one.

-7-

How do I feel about the Catholic Church?

For the zeal of thy house hath eaten me up: and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.- Psalm 69:9


Thanks Hallie for hosting!

Consider subscribing to Almost Not Catholic. Click here to make it happen.